Audubon Dallas Bird Talk Forums  

Go Back   Audubon Dallas Bird Talk Forums > Birding Forums > Bird Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bird Chat The place for reporting recent sightings, asking bird Id questions, posting photos, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Blue Moon Blue Moon is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, Athens & the road
Posts: 327
Default Two-chamber Rocket Bat House

In an ongoing effort to enhance the habitat to better serve the native wildlife on our property in East Texas weve been providing shelter for birds and bats as part of our wildlife management plan.

Recently I tackled the task of building a two-chamber rocket bat house designed by Bat Conservation International. While its a fairly simple design, due to over 1300 horizontal, 1/16 inch deep cuts that allow the bats to roost inside the double chamber design, it takes a fair amount of time to construct. Based on reported success rates of the design I hope it ends up being worth the extra effort.

This design has been modified in the past few years where it once called for two boxes to be built around a 4x4 wooden post. The top 45 inches of the 4x4 post previously made up the inner most chamber. The modified design now calls for a 20 foot long, 2 inch diameter steel pole instead of the 4x4 wooden post. This eliminates the chance of the bats being exposed the toxins in treated lumber plus the metal pole adds possible height to the house and extends the life of the design.

Now a tight pole sleeve box is built around the 2 inch pipe and takes the place of the original 4x4 post. An inner chamber box is built around the pole sleeve and an outer chamber box creates the outer chamber and the exterior surface. Small inch spacers between the chamber walls provide all the room that the bats need to roost. The inner chamber also has 1 inch passage holes that allow that bats to move from one chamber to the other without having to go outside the house.

The plans suggest using deck screws however I opted to use an air powered staple gun which is what is used to attach most plywood sheathing in residential construction. I also used an air powered finish nail gun for the inner roof. On a side note I find that a finish nail gun is great to use to build bird houses while the staple gun is great when you have a heavy project like a rocket bat house.

A few more construction pictures are at

For those interested in a DIY project, the University of Nebraska has the best plans that I found available online for the 2-chamber Rocket Bat House from Bat Conservation International.



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Y Cymry Y Cymry is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 394
Default Re: Two-chamber Rocket Bat House

Great job Bluemoon,

I've been considering building my own rocket tower. I recently got my first tenants in my bat house at my place near Possum Kingdom Lake.
http://www.audubondallas.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=1404

Ken
__________________
Ken

...and they will see teal, blue-winged, green-winged, shelldrakes, whistlers, black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. H. D. Thoreau - A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Blue Moon Blue Moon is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, Athens & the road
Posts: 327
Default Re: Two-chamber Rocket Bat House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Cymry View Post
Great job Bluemoon,

I've been considering building my own rocket tower. I recently got my first tenants in my bat house at my place near Possum Kingdom Lake.
http://www.audubondallas.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=1404

Ken
Thanks for the link. I've been offline for a long time and haven't had a chance to follow the forum recently. Congrats on bats occupying your bat house near PK.

From a time saving stand point, I like the mesh material you used on your bat house. If you build a rocket house will you use it again or make the crazy number of roost cuts the plans call for?

Geryl
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Y Cymry Y Cymry is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 394
Default Re: Two-chamber Rocket Bat House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
Thanks for the link. I've been offline for a long time and haven't had a chance to follow the forum recently. Congrats on bats occupying your bat house near PK.

From a time saving stand point, I like the mesh material you used on your bat house. If you build a rocket house will you use it again or make the crazy number of roost cuts the plans call for?

Geryl
Hi Geryl,

Yes, I would be a little daunted by the number of grooves required to be cut. Another consideration is finding the mesh (Uniek 7 plastic canvas, I think) in big enough sheets or in a roll. There are plenty of sources for little craft size sheets of 10"X13" but I have not found a supplier for larger sizes/quantities. My bat house by the way was bought factory-made by the Orginization for Bat Conservation from BestNest.com. [And.... I just noticed that OBC has 1'x4' sheets of poly mesh for sale on their website for $3.00]


Ken
__________________
Ken

...and they will see teal, blue-winged, green-winged, shelldrakes, whistlers, black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. H. D. Thoreau - A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers

Last edited by Y Cymry : 05-01-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Blue Moon Blue Moon is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, Athens & the road
Posts: 327
Default Re: Two-chamber Rocket Bat House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Cymry View Post
Hi Geryl,

Yes, I would be a little daunted by the number of grooves required to be cut. Another consideration is finding the mesh (Uniek 7 plastic canvas, I think) in big enough sheets or in a roll. There are plenty of sources for little craft size sheets of 10"X13" but I have not found a supplier for larger sizes/quantities. My bat house by the way was bought factory-made by the Orginization for Bat Conservation from BestNest.com. [And.... I just noticed that OBC has 1'x4' sheets of poly mesh for sale on their website for $3.00]

Ken
Ken - Thanks so much for the info. While I'm very cautious around a saw, just for the sake of safety next time I'll try the mesh.

Thanks,
Geryl
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.