Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dallas wood storks and spoonbills

Default Dallas wood storks and spoonbills

Incredible birds at the new Trinity River Audubon Center site this beautiful rainy morning (8/15/08). A huge flock of wood stork (80+ birds) mixed with roseate spoonbills (20+) also ibis, heron, and egret. Incredible! Some were feeding in floodplain ponds. Others were roosting high in a dead tree. As I approached, they all took flight in this massive beautiful flock.

Trinity River Audubon Center opens to the public this October 18 & 19.

Default Re: Dallas wood storks and spoonbills

Haven't been there before. Once you get to the center itself, where would I go to find the area you saw the woodstorks and roseates in? Have today off, wouldn't mind going it is too late in the day.

Thanks
    Lulu
    Happy Birding!

Life Birds:449
    Newest Lifer: Northern Beardless Tyrannulet

Well news about this new Audubon facility is a bombshell. We've been going to very nearby Rochester Park and hiking the Trinity Forest for a couple of years. Will have to check this out.

My wife and I just ran into Bryan Kilburn, Senior Program Manager of Forestry for the Trinity River Corridor Project. He had his truck at the lake in Rochester Park just north of the new Audubon site on 175. Seems we were given nothing but bad news.

He proudly informed us that they would be cleaning it up - effectively running all the locals out (who fish and relax there) since all they go there to do is commit crimes. Firing guns, getting romantic and getting 'altered.' I've never witnessed any of that in my time there. Anyway isn't this exactly how country white folk spend their time? One obvious difference is that the state of Texas picks up trash where the white folk live. It always seemed to me that the city was intentionally letting trash pile up so that the locals could be considered a 'problem' of some sort.

He says the lake will only be opened by foot access in the future. Don't mind that so much but we were distressed to learn what they intend to do with marvelous pristine and recently undisturbed tract of land that is the heart of the trinity forest (2-3 square miles). Seen by satellite here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...51155&t=h&z=15

Bryan says they are going to put in mountain biking and horse back riding trails. These trails will divide up the best part of the forest. There will be a paved road (like at white rock) surrounding it. Bridges will be built over white rock creek and the trinity to allow the horses in. This is exactly how Cottonwood Creek was destroyed, by these 'improvements.' The trinity forest is finished . I have to say, I am really crushed to learn this.

For the last few years, we would GPS out in the winter into this gorgeous place where the understory monkey grass is green and ankle high all winter. We traversed the entire forest finding its magnificent trees. We created GPS waypoints for 15 trees that were perfect for non-technical climbs or picnicing, returning many times.

hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mirro View Post

(deletia)

My wife and I just ran into Bryan Kilburn, Senior Program Manager of Forestry for the Trinity River Corridor Project. He had his truck at the lake in Rochester Park just north of the new Audubon site on 175. Seems we were given nothing but bad news.

He proudly informed us that they would be cleaning it up -

(deletia)

Bryan says they are going to put in mountain biking and horse back riding trails. These trails will divide up the best part of the forest. There will be a paved road (like at white rock) surrounding it. Bridges will be built over white rock creek and the trinity to allow the horses in. This is exactly how Cottonwood Creek was destroyed, by these 'improvements.' The trinity forest is finished . I have to say, I am really crushed to learn this.

AGREED! Bikers are not interested in observing the beauty of a nature area. Rather, they want to see who can get from one place to another the quickest. A good friend of ours laid out the bike trails up at Lake Ray Roberts State Park and came to the same conclusion. Now, he wishes it had been a nature trail, not a bike trail. If a bike trail is wanted, it should be located away from nature areas. Let them have their hills, thrills and spills.

Dallas Audubon needs to enlist city council members to ban the bike trail through the woods. My guess is that the council members who visited the Trinity River Audubon Center in April may be best to approach. I do not have a list of their names, though. Also, it seems like council members Hunt and Rasansky like being critical of "business as usual" policies.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Maybe someone can correct me on this. Bryan Kilburn told Phoebes and me that no one from Audubon will talk to him. Is there some history here? Was there some past failed attempt to jointly negotiate a workable plan?

Why on EARTH would the City of Dallas not enlist the expertise of Audubon, the world's largest and most prestigious wildlife organization? Was Audubon marginalized through this whole process? There (amazingly) doesn't seem to be much mention of Audubon on the Trinity River project website or whenever the Trinity River project comes up on the City of Dallas' iMedia (I think) tv channel.

Just looking at the latest forest management plan

http://www.dallascityhall.com/commit...ity_081908.pdf

there is reference to herbicidal and controlled burn deforestation to replace the existing forest (probably the secondary growth part?) with something closer to a mature or old growth forest. I would assume that soil evolution and the water table were main factors in succession. Maybe the Army corp has a proven way to speed this up?

I can picture mountain bikers flying through groves of saplings. I cannot foresee anything like my beloved Nuthatch Hollow of upstate NY, not at least in my lifetime. Why not just let it grow undisturbed, other than maybe a bit of trash pickup?
    Last edited by Nick Mirro; 08-17-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: corrected a few silly errors

I also like to know the location. I have never seen these two species in the Dallas area.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lulubelle View Post
    Haven't been there before. Once you get to the center itself, where would I go to find the area you saw the woodstorks and roseates in? Have today off, wouldn't mind going it is too late in the day.

Thanks

I wish they would separate the bike trails and equistrian away from the nature trails, too! At least there are no plans for a motocross track - I hope.
    jwilton

SpeakBeak.com

Recommended by birds everywhere!

Maybe someone can correct me on this. Bryan told Phoebes and me that no one from Audubon will talk to him. Is there some history here? Was there some past failed attempt to jointly negotiate a workable plan?
    JCB

Terrible news about the proposed trails! What on earth can we do to help thwart this plan?

Ah -- have the last two posters noticed that the rest of the thread is 14 months old? Juliette, who is this Bryan you're talking about? Anna, by now the plan may well already have happened!