Thread: Large Numbers of Canvasbacks, Ringnecked Ducks at Mountain Creek Library

Default Large Numbers of Canvasbacks, Ringnecked Ducks at Mountain Creek Library

Occasionally I will find a handful of ducks at this location, but nothing like this. This morning over 100 Canvasbacks, maybe 275 Ringnecked Ducks, probably 150 Lesser Scaups (I think they were Lesser), a few Wigeons, and a couple of Gadwalls. I thought it was cool to see this many ducks in a small pond!

[IMG]DSCN1939 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]DSCN1949 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN1953 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]DSCN1956 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]DSCN1942 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]

This one was from yesterday.
    [IMGFisher, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for viewing.
    Last edited by Jason F; 11-25-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Default Re: Large Numbers of Canvasbacks, Ringnecked Ducks at Mountain Creek Library

Wow! That is awesome!
    Kaptured by Kala

http://kapturedbykala.com

Default Re: Large Numbers of Canvasbacks, Ringnecked Ducks at Mountain Creek Library

I went back and revised the list. There were no Blue-winged Teal. Mis-identification on my part. Add 50 female Lesser Scaups. Sorry, I know it's a little "after the fact".

Thanks for the tip on this location, Jason.

I have turned right at the intersection of Eagle Ford Drive and Mountain Creek Parkway many times when going to Cedar Ridge Preserve and was vaguely aware that there was a library nearby but had no clue there was a nice park with a good pond located behind it. It's named Emerald Lake Park for anyone wishing to find it on google earth or maps. This is a beautiful hidden away spot that will be worth checking out anytime I am in the neighborhood in the future.

I visited the spot on Thanksgiving afternoon for an hour or two but was not so lucky with the ducks. Only about 60 or so were on the pond, mostly Lesser Scaups with only 1 Canvasback and 1 Redhead with a handful of Gadwalls, Wigeon and Mallards but no Ring-necked Ducks at all. Still a place that has potential for birding I think.

Some of my images:

EMERALD LAKE PARK 1 by k.nanney, on Flickr

EMERALD LAKE PARK 2 by k.nanney, on Flickr

EMERALD LAKE PARK 3 by k.nanney, on Flickr

LESSER SCAUP 48 by k.nanney, on Flickr

REDHEAD 9 by k.nanney, on Flickr

LESSER SCAUP 49 by k.nanney, on Flickr

LESSER SCAUP 50 by k.nanney, on Flickr

LESSER SCAUP 51 by k.nanney, on Flickr

Not many land birds were active during my visit but this mockingbird did pose for me:
    MOCKINGBIRD 11 by k.nanney, on Flickr

Thanks again for the heads up.
    Last edited by Y Cymry; 11-27-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Ken
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nanney/

...and they will see teal, blue-winged, green-winged, shelldrakes, whistlers, black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. H. D. Thoreau - A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers

You are welcome, Ken. Lovely pictures.

I found the huge flocks in the mornings of 11/21 and 11/22. When I went in the afternoon, the smaller flock was floating around.