Thread: Colorado Golden Eagles update

Default Colorado Golden Eagles update

Two weeks ago I was able to revisit the Golden Eagle nest in Fort Collins that I had photographed in May. Not long after I arrived late that afternoon, Dad showed up, easily recognized by his broken tail feather, carrying their favorite prey, a jackrabbit.

He flew around with it calling to his mate.

She called him from a protected ledge which is where he delivered dinner. The juveniles now are flying around the nest, but they aren't yet going out hunting with their parents. One of the juveniles already was on the ledge with Mom, the other flew over to join the feast, showing off the juvenile's beautiful tail feathers.

After dinner they flew out to their night perches. Here is Dad watching the ledge with one juvenile behind him while the other is still eathig.

Three other photographers arrived after the eagles had dinner. They have been coming to this nest for 5 years and said the eagles successfully raised young eagles each year.

Larry

Default Re: Colorado Golden Eagles update

Love these nice shots, specially 3rd one with a jackrabbit.

Very nice set of shots, Larry! I particularly like the 5th, with that stunning tail and the shadow of the bird approaching the ledge, and the 6th shot for the composition -- slanted rocks, vegetation, light and shadows, and the two patient birds intently watching. Thanks for posting!
    Betsy
    "My heart in hiding Stirred for a bird,
    -- the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!"
    (from "The Windhover" by Gerard Manley Hopkins)

"My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather."
    Loire Hartwould

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird . . . So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing - that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
    Richard P. Feynman

Thanks Gemma and Betsy. Here are a few more shots taken early the next morning.
    This is an uncropped view of the nest cliff. Their nest is a little to the left of the image, the feeding ledge is to the right and higher, and their old nest is to the right. Both adults had left already and the two juveniles stayed here the entire time I was able to stay.

While waiting for the sun to gain some altitude, a small group of Common Mergansers swam by in the lake behind me.

along with a young White Pelican

While I was shooting the juveniles, a Goldfinch stopped to check me out:

Later on the trip in Montana, I found something I had never seen before, a solitary Cedar Waxwing:

It's always fun when you bring the camera up to your eye and the image is already composed.

Larry

A few more postcards from this trip. After spending time in Seattle, we headed down to the Oregon coast. Its reputation for spectacular physical beauty is well-deserved. We spent several hours in Cannon Beach on what can be referred to as a Chamber of Commerce day: sunny and a little cool while the interior was getting hit with triple digit temperatures. The view north:

At far left is Tillamook Lighthouse, about a mile and a quarter offshore and inactive.

It's hard to imagine the violence of past storms here that damaged the lens at the top of the original lighthouse.

The view south: Haystack Rock. The reason we stopped here was the hope of seeing Tufted Puffins who nest on this rock.

Unfortunately I didn't see any puffins. The only birds beside gulls flying off this imposing rock were Common Murres. A new bird for me, but not what I came for.

Nevertheless, this was a very enjoyable stop.

Larry