Thread: scissor-tailed nest

Default scissor-tailed nest

After a rocky experience with crazy ants (love that name), The scissor-tailed flycatchers added 2 more to the bird world.
    Here they are rejoicing (I assume).

Here are some family photos:

Female arriving with food.

The male arrives with food, but there is no room to land since the female is already on the nest. So he hovers overhead waiting his turn to land.

The nestlings kept a watchful eye on the sky and would open their mouths if any kind of bird flew past. A morning dove had just flown by....

Eventually, one of the nestlings is ready to leave the nest for a nearby tree

Last edited by Chris M; 08-06-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: scissor-tailed nest

First flight! I feel like I can see some concentration going on.

Just the minimum amount of feathers to do the job.

The first landing ....

So, having barely made it to a nearby tree, I was surprised to see this bird return to the nest a couple of hours later as the sun was setting. I had no idea that a fledgling bird would do that.
    I would not have guessed that the little guy had so much awareness of his surroundings that he could go back. But I suspect it is normal for scissor-tailed fledglings. The other nestling
    was still about half a day from being able to leaving the nest, and I found out that they like to be together at night.

The next day, I found that both birds had left the nest, never to return.

They stayed close to each other and did everything together.

But as nightfall came, they scooted even closer together.

The last photo I made of a fledgling scissor-tailed flycatcher

After about the fourth day out of the nest, they were flying with complete flycatcher ability. I was amazed at how well they flew.

This is the only time I have ever photographed a songbird nest. I don't like to bother them, but, this instance was a very observable nest
    so I could not refuse.

I would like to photograph a bird of prey nest someday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30888088@N02/
    Last edited by Chris M; 08-06-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling fixes

Wow, those are awesome photos! Lol, I counted myself lucky because I've been able to get good close ups of adults perched on yucca stalks and this year spotted some fledglings on telephone wire with parents coming to feed them but never anything like this. Fantastic job!
    Kaptured by Kala

http://kapturedbykala.com

Cool Re: scissor-tailed nest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptured by Kala View Post
    Wow, those are awesome photos! Lol, I counted myself lucky because I've been able to get good close ups of adults perched on yucca stalks and this year spotted some fledglings on telephone wire with parents coming to feed them but never anything like this. Fantastic job!
    Thanks Kala.

This year I had only intended to try to make a few good bluebird flight shots and nothing else. But, one thing kept leading to another. Normally I stop all outdoor photography around the beginning of June due to the heat.
    I have other behavioral shots such as the female standing over the nestlings to shade them from the direct sun. But I had to stand in the sun with no shade. Not fun.

I knew this was an unusual opportunity and I had to do it. The tree the nestlings flew to was the same dead tree the woodpecker photos were made from. No leaves on the tree to hide the nestlings from further photography after they left the nest tree.

I am so glad to finally be done for the year.

Thumbs up Re: scissor-tailed nest

Incredible shot, for a moment I lost myself there. Love for those 2 babies.

Great series, Chris! I have a particular affection for Scissor-tails. One year I watched the progress of a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher nest in a small tree in the parking lot at work. They fledged during the July 4th holiday -- found the youngsters sitting cheek by jowl, just as you show them near nightfall, on a pine tree branch the morning we returned to work. Another time I watched for a bit as a female was finishing off a nest. She'd found some pink insulation not far away and was bringing bits of it to line the nest. After adding it she'd turn around and around in the nest to press it into the sides with her breast. These birds are always fun to watch. I have to admire your tenacity in standing out in this appalling heat to get these excellent photos! Thanks for posting them!
    Betsy
    "My heart in hiding Stirred for a bird,
    -- the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!"
    (from "The Windhover" by Gerard Manley Hopkins)

"My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather."
    Loire Hartwould

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird . . . So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing - that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
    Richard P. Feynman