Thread: Crested caracara in north Texas?

Default Crested caracara in north Texas?

A friend of mine (non-birder) was playing golf in Irving yesterday, and took a couple of photos of a bird he saw there, and asked me to ID it. His smartphone photos were quite good, and it was unmistakably a crested caracara. I've never seen this species in north Texas; I've only seen them in the Rio Grande Valley. It appears that perhaps Dallas is on the edge of the range map I looked at.

Have you seen this species in the Dallas area? I'm just wondering how rare his sighting was, if in fact it was even rare at all. Thanks.

Russ

Default Re: Crested caracara in north Texas?

They're uncommon but regular through the area. There are a few spots in both Dallas and Tarrant Counties where they've nested in recent years. You generally find them in areas that are more open, but they wander a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine_Carnes View Post
    They're uncommon but regular through the area. There are a few spots in both Dallas and Tarrant Counties where they've nested in recent years. You generally find them in areas that are more open, but they wander a lot.
    Thanks. That's helpful.

They are mostly seen in Arizona, Texas, and Florida. But it is a bird of open country. So nothing unusual.