Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird Nest

Default Hummingbird Nest

Just got back from summer trip to find this hanging maybe ten feet above my driveway.

She has returned to her nest even after backing the car in and out a few times, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are eggs. Most of the RTHB nest pics that I googled had one or two eggs. Hopefully these will be successful hatches.

[IMG]DSCN1521 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Jason F; 07-14-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Default Re: Hummingbird Nest

Wow, so jealous, lol. Have never seen a hummingbird nest. Thanks for sharing
    Kaptured by Kala

http://kapturedbykala.com

You are quite welcome, Kala!!!

I have never found a hummingbird with its nest either. I would love to get one someday. good job!

It was quite a shock to find it, Chris. Poor thing is constantly on the look out for passing cars, me using the driveway, and other birds in the vicinity. Squirrels could also be a threat.

On another note, I see that Photobucket will no longer let me post to third party sites unless I give them big-time $$. Sorry about that. I'll see if I can make the switch to Flicker.

your link shows but not the photo. Check this out: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/in...?topic=10760.0
    Kaptured by Kala

http://kapturedbykala.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I have never found a hummingbird with its nest either. I would love to get one someday. good job!

BTW, my compliments on your set of photos.
    Last edited by Jason F; 07-14-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Since I've got Flickr working finally (thank you, Kala) I can put another picture of it. Hopefully this one is clearer.
    [IMG]DSCN1527 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]

As of this morning, the potential mama hummingbird is still incubating her egg. The nest is actually low enough that, with the help of a stool, I was able to reach my camera above the nest, so I know that there is a single egg, which looks viable thus far. She has been there approximately 10-12 days.

She put me through quite a scare this morning because she was MIA all morning. This was very surprising, and frankly, I thought she decided to abandon her nest because of neighborhood traffic, etc. While I am thrilled to see that she has returned, I'm not holding out too much hope that she'll be able to successfully raise a nestling to independence. I say this knowing how frightened she must be when the trash and recycle trucks are driving by only feet away. At least I'll do whatever I can to preserve her peacefulness. To be continued...

[IMG]DSCN1535 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN1551 by Jason Fisher, on Flickr[/IMG]a

As of 3:37 pm today. Limbs moving due to a slight breeze making it tough to get a good shot.