Thread: Fruits of their labors, update

Default Fruits of their labors, update

It's been quiet on this forum lately so here are a few shots from late this afternoon. The chicks are now young hawks showing off their fierce hawk stare:

and feathers:

They still have some spaces to fill with feathers. Meanwhile, 100 yards away the Barred Owl waits for sunset before moving to a hunting perch.

As long as she doesn't start staring at me I know I'm not too close.

Right after taking this shot she started to stare at me so I knew it was time to leave.

Larry

Default Re: Fruits of their labors, update

This morning I saw that the hawk chicks are entering the next phase of their development.

Just one chick in the nest. The other has begun to explore:

So far, so good

and the weather has cooperated. Not much longer now, they just need their feathers to fill in gaps along with some exercise for those wing muscles and they will be ready to take flight.

Larry

Late yesterday afternoon I returned to find that both of these young hawks are out of the nest and flying. #1 wasn't around but #2 was above the nest surveying the neighborhood.

Mom will continue bringing food to the nest for a while. Their next big test will come when she leaves and they must hunt for themselves. Some other feathered beauties were around as well.

A finely coiffed Wood Duck:

and the Barred Owl:

on her hunting perch:

Larry

Happy 4th of July!

I went out this morning hoping to photograph the young RS Hawks. I saw them flying around but not anywhere I could get shots. Fortunately I first heard and then saw the young Barred Owl I've been hoping to find here.

Almost full grown but still has some feathers that need to grow:

She has learned to find a daytime perch that is well-covered so she won't be strafed by mockingbirds, blue jays, and blue-gray gnatcatchers.

Larry

It's a time of transition for the juvenile hawks. Dad left the area when they grew large enough that mom could leave the nest for an extended time to hunt. That reduced by one the number of hawk stomachs that needed to be filled from prey in the vicinity of the nest. The juveniles have been flying for almost 3 weeks and now mom also has left. This juvenile was calling almost continuously, hoping that mom would magically appear with food.

Meanwhile, his sibling was quietly perched on a branch overlooking a grassy field bordered by mature oak, hackberry, and bois d'arc trees.

Now they need to let their instincts take over and guide them to feeding themselves.

Larry