Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My trip to Colorado for Golden Eagles

Default Re: My trip to Colorado for Golden Eagles

Thanks Jason and Kala. Exploring a new area is a fun way to add to ones species list. On this trip I added:
    1. American Avocet (breeding plumage)
    2. Golden Eagle
    3. Grasshopper Sparrow*
    4. Horned Lark
    5. Lark Bunting
    6. Mountain Bluebird
    7. Ring-necked Pheasant
    8. Road Runner
    9. Semipalmated Sandpiper*
    10. Snowy Plover
    11. Stilt Sandpiper*
    12. Steller's Jay
    13. Western Meadowlark
    14. White-faced Ibis
    15. Wild Turkey
    16. Wilson's Phalarope
    *tentative pending definitive ID

Several of these shots will go up on my wall so it was a very successful trip.

Larry

Great trip and images Larry. Your shorebird IDs appear to be all correct. I would disagree with your assessment of breeding plumage avocets in the DFW area though. During the height of shorebird migration in our area in late April and early May we see plenty of avocets in nice breeding plumage. Very early spring and fall migration are a different story though when the birds are in their drab gray and white non-breeding plumage.

Your sparrows are all correct except the flying "Grasshopper" sparrow which I believe is also a Clay-colored Sparrow still in non-breeding plumage.

You didn't mention it but in one image in the second eagle nest series you have a couple of photo-bombing White-throated Swifts.

The Pawnee grasslands are one of the favorite places I have birded. Next time you are there during the breeding season keep an eye out for McCown's and Chestnut-collared Lonspurs in nice breeding plumage. Mountain Plover is a specialty of the area and Ferruginous Hawks should be a sure thing. Watch for the hawk nesting in any isolated tall cottonwood tree. The plover and longspurs nest on the grasslands and pastures.
    Last edited by Y Cymry; 05-28-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    Ken
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/nanney/

...and they will see teal, blue-winged, green-winged, shelldrakes, whistlers, black ducks, ospreys, and many other wild and noble sights before night, such as they who sit in parlors never dream of. H. D. Thoreau - A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers

Thanks Ken. Thanks also for the ID confirmations. There were lots of swifts and swallows flying around the nest cliff so I tried to shoot when some would be in the foreground but with no hope of getting them in focus. I had hoped to find Longspurs at Pawnee but no luck on this trip. I knew I was too late to see any leks, but locals I met talked about the decline of prairie chickens and grouse in the area and wondered how they were doing in the high plains of TX/OK. At least I was able to get the pheasant without having to go all the way up to the Dakotas.

Larry